Before IV/General Anesthesia
1. You will need to set aside a full 24 hour period where you will not have a lot on your schedule. You should not drive a car or operate heavy machinery during this time. You may need as much as three days depending on your need for narcotic pain medication.
2. DO NOT eat or drink anything, including water, candy or mints, at least 6 full hours before your surgery appointment. If you need to take any medications the morning of your surgery or you were asked to take a pre-medication, please do so with the smallest amount of water possible. If you take routine oral medications, please check with Dr. Schirmer prior to your surgical date for instructions.
3. Bring a driver with you that can STAY in the office for the entire length of your appointment. Please let them know that they will need to stay on the premises and that someone will be going over post-operative instructions with them.
4. Please wear shirts with sleeves that can be rolled past your elbows. Please wear low heeled shoes that are comfortable. Dark nail polish may need to be removed in order for some of our equipment to read properly.
5. Please refrain from wearing any bulky jewelry or large earrings. Any nose, tongue and/or lip rings will need to be removed the day of surgery.
6. Some patients will be given a small bottle of medicated mouth rinse. If you were given this mouth rinse please use it the night before and the morning of your surgery.
7. If you have an illness such as a cold, stuffy nose, sore throat, stomach or bowel upset, please notify our office.
**If you have any questions regarding any of these instructions please call our office at The Center for Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Phone Number 513 932-9991.